SPARQlab teaches new generations of students about how psychology can help change the real world. SPARQlab RAs gain valuable research experience and mentoring, and go on to graduate school as well as diverse career paths sparqing change.
Research Assistant Activities
Research assistants provide very needed and valued assistance to the research process. As a research assistant, you will gain experience:
- Conducting literature reviews for a new or ongoing study.
- Designing and manipulating experimental stimuli for use in studies.
- Constructing and modifying surveys and studies with specialized computer programs (e.g. Qualtrics).
- Running lab studies and debriefing participants.
- Collecting, coding, or entering in data, and much more.
Research assistants also participate in weekly lab meetings to discuss psychological research, current events, research methods, and career development.
Research Assistant Requirements
Research assistants are required to work for a minimum of two consecutive quarters, and many RAs stay on throughout their time at Stanford (and may even pursue an Honors Thesis). RAs work 6 or 9 hours a week, which corresponds to 2 or 3 units of research credit. Stanford students who are eligible for federal work-study are also eligible to participate in the lab for payment. SPARQ is unable to compensate research assistants over the summer, however, we encourage interested students to apply via a summer research program such as PsychSummer (Stanford only), Leadership Alliance, or SPSP's Summer Program for Undergraduate Research.
Below is a list of our current projects for which we're recruiting research assistants.
- Improving police-community relations
- Creating healthy workspaces
- Building trust across differences
- Improving teacher-student feedback
How do I join SPARQ?
The application for Spring 2019 and Summer 2019 is now open. SPARQ will review applications on a rolling basis. For more information, email SPARQ's research manager, Rachel Song (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Thank you for your interest!